Vice President Development & CommunicationsCompany: St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center
Date Posted: March 29, 2016
Evergreen Executive Source
St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Shelter
Madison, New Jersey
Vice President Development & Communications
This is an immediate opening.
Founded in 1939, St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center operates three animal shelters and is opening a fourth location this year. The main campus is located in a park-like setting in northern New Jersey. Its nationally renowned Training and Behavior Center offers specialized training classes and behavior consultations. The main facility also houses the ASPCA Behavioral Rehabilitation Center, a ground-breaking program for dogs that are victims of puppy mills, hoarding, or other abuse.
St. Hubert’s offers educational opportunities to shelter/rescue personnel; employs a full-time humane educator that works year round in schools, with scouting troops and social service agencies; advocates for animal-welfare legislation; runs an array of community outreach program and pet retention initiatives.
St. Hubert’s also provides animal-control services to municipalities in the area, assisting domestic animals and wildlife in need. Additional programs include a day camp for dogs, pet therapy, and a summer day camp for children. Its pet-loss program supports humans through the death of a pet. The Center has a vibrant volunteer program as well as a positive and productive Board-staff dynamic relationship.
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Vice President Development & Communications serves on the senior leadership team, and supervises five staff. Responsibilities include a full range of initiatives for oversight of all fundraising and donor-relations activities, and a retail operation, communications responsibilities include advising the President/CEO and Board, managing press relations, publishing newsletters and the annual report. Media tools include collateral materials, website content, media kits, videos, and social media.
- Design and implement fundraising strategies.
- Attract and maintain donors, and report back on utilization of funds.
- Advise the President/CEO and Board of Directors on fund development strategy, planning, and implementation.
- Deploy tactics such as direct mail, direct solicitation, annual e-giving and corporate-giving programs, events management, workplace campaigns, grants, and endowment campaigns.
- Execute and close fundraising deals, and fully explore contacts made available by board members and the CEO.
- Responsible for success of fund planning development program.
- Make effective use of St. Hubert’s data management/donor management system, experience with Raiser’s Edge, Blackbaud Net Community preferred.
- Develop and implement budgets for fund development and maintain accountability for expenditures.
- Oversee retail-sales function (Buddy’s Boutique).
- Ensure compliance with regulations applicable to charitable giving.
- Manage comprehensive communications efforts promoting the organization and the cause, including branding and communications, and use of website and social media.
- Advise President/CEO and Board on strategies and messaging.
- Manage press and media contacts.
- Oversee all aspects of St. Hubert’s newsletters and annual report.
- Work with staff and volunteers to support organizational messaging.
- Engage with local communities to increase knowledge and awareness of programs.
- Develop promotional campaigns to support programs.
Ideal qualities include an open and receptive approach to collaboration with multiple stakeholder groups, plus high integrity as shown by effective planning and follow-through to implement agreed upon goals. The successful candidate will be flexible while maintaining strong determination towards meeting goals, and will be an inspiration to others. This individual will think strategically and execute effectively in a collaborative environment where results are critically important. This position assumes a regular schedule of out-of-office meetings across the area served, with some evening and weekend responsibilities. A valid driver’s license is required.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Must have 5 or more years of successful fund development with hands-on experience across the breadth of funding tactics. Requires demonstrated experience managing communications programs and broad exposure to corporate/nonprofit communications. St. Hubert’s seeks candidates with excellent critical-thinking, interpersonal, and communications skills, plus success in dealing with a variety of people, ideas, and business situations. St. Hubert’s highly values dedication to its mission to foster excellence in support of animal welfare. Knowledge of and experience in the animal welfare philanthropic community is a plus.
Bachelor’s degree required, with advancement towards or successful completion of CFRE credential. Master’s degree preferred.
St. Hubert’s provides competitive base compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including life, temporary disability, medical, dental insurance, a Section 125 Plan, and 403(b) retirement plan. Benefits are based on meeting eligibility requirements and are subject to change at the discretion of St. Hubert’s.
HOW TO APPLY
We encourage expressions of interest as early as possible. For immediate consideration, please e-mail your cover letter and resume, along with salary requirements to:
Bob Perodeau, Principal
Evergreen Executive Source, LLC
Voice (800) 286 4009 E-mail: email@example.com
Providing executive recruiting services for nonprofits nationwide since 2001
St. Hubert’s is dedicated to a policy of equal opportunity, giving fair and equal treatment to all applicants for employment. No employee of St. Hubert’s will discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, sexual orientation, marital status, age or veteran status as protected by law. This policy applies to all employment practices and personnel actions, including compensation, recruitment and opportunities for advancement.